Facts of the Day
July 20, 2015

7/20/20015

"With a growing market of emission control parts, that are widely distributed by automotive parts retailers, such as CARiD.com, approximately 150 million metric tons in greenhouse gas emissions can be reduced a year by 2050. The reductions would be the equivalent of removing 25 million cars."




7/19/2015

For every barrel of ethanol produced (1 barrel = 42 gallons), 1.2 barrels of petroleum are displaced at the refinery.
Information Resources Inc.




7/18/2015

Adoption of plug-in hybrids will transfer the overwhelming majority of our miles driven to nearly oil-free electricity. If all vehicles were plug-in hybrids we would cut our oil needs by 55%, nearly enough to eliminate foreign sources altogether.
2003-07 California Cars Initiative, an activity of the International Humanities Center




7/17/2015

In 2006, the production and use of ethanol in the U.S. reduced oil imports by 170 million barrels, saving $11 billion from being sent to foreign and often hostile countries.
LECG, LLC December 2006




7/16/2015

CAFE only affects 44% of consumed petroleum, that used by cars and light trucks. There is no effect on the other 56% of petroleum consumed by industrial and residential uses or burned in heavy trucks, trains, boats and airplanes
EIA 2006 Annual Energy Outlook




7/13/2015

In 2004, ethanol use in the U.S. reduced CO2-equivalent greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 7 million tons, equal to removing the emissions of more than 1 million cars from the road.
Argonne National Lab




7/12/2015

"In June 2006, the Big Three automakers announced that by 2010 they will double the annual production of two million E-85 capable cars and trucks. This is the single largest commitment to renewable fuels in U.S. history."
Richard Wagoner, CEO General Motors, November 29, 2006




7/11/2015
A shift of only 10 percent of the U.S. vehicle fleet to fuel cells could save motorists $200 million a day, and could reduce daily imports by 1.8 million barrels.
US fuel Cell Council "An Agenda for Action"





7/10/2015
There are more than 5 million Flex Fuel Vehicles currently on the road in the U.S. today"
DOE, EERE study




7/9/2015
"Simply put, the Senate energy bill lacks foresight, creativity and ambition. And those are the qualities we need most as we grapple with the related issues of energy dependence and environmental responsibility."
Editorial, Anderson Herald-Bulletin (IN), July 5, 2015.




7/6/2015
In 2006, the Department of Energy announced $100 million to fund 25 hydrogen research and development endeavors. These projects will transform how our automobiles are powered.
U.S. Department of Energy release 10/24/2006




7/5/2015

There are 10.5 million alternative fuel automobiles on the road today.
R.L. Polk and Company, 2006




7/3/2015
Without prompting from the federal government, the United States auto industry invested 15.6 billion dollars in research and development in 2004. This investment is greater than any other manufacturing sector.
Wards Automotive Facts and Figures and National Science Foundation




7/2/2015
Currently there are 60 models of alternative fuel vehicles available, up from only 12 in the year 2000
Auto Alliance




6/29/2015
Since the CAFE program was enacted, U.S. consumption of gasoline has increased by 60 percent
Energy Information Administration

Get Involved History and Background News Center What's at Stake Who We Are Our Mission Home